Just a few days ago, Toyota garnered a bunch of attention at the 2014 Chicago Auto Show with their new TRD Pro Off-Road Packages. The new packages have an iconic, throwback grille, skid plates, a host of suspension upgrades and a lot of the “cool” factor. Are they are a game changer? You decide.
What is the TRD Pro Series? It is the culmination of years of research from Baja events that Toyota’s off-road department TRD has participated in. They took that knowledge and experience to tune these packages for the off-road driver in mind. There are many cool things about these packages included a lift kit WITH increased wheel travel (you don’t normally get this from a stock lift kit), new wheels, new TRD tuned shocks and a great new color with interior upgrades.
All TRD Pro packages for 4Runner, Tacoma and the Tundra will get:
- TRD Bilstein shocks with remote reservoirs
- TRD-tuned front springs
- TRD front skid plate
- Unique front grille with “TOYOTA” badging (pays tribute to early iconic Toyota models)
- TRD floor mats
- TRD shift knobs
- Black wheels
These vehicles will be offered in white, black and a new Inferno red.
4Runner TRD Pro
The 4Runner will get the standard features plus:
- 1.5” lift for the front of the vehicle
- 1” of additional wheel travel
- All-new 17-inch TRD all-black alloy wheels
- Black TRD Pro badges
- Black front and rear lower bumper accents
The Tacoma has some great upgrades with this package which should console the fans who were upset at the loss of the Baja package.
It will get all the standard features plus:
- TRD-tuned springs with 2” lift for the front
- Decreased spring rate
- 16-inch black beadlock-style wheels
- BFGoodrich® All-Terrain LT265/75R16 tires
- TRD Exhaust
- Black TRD PRO badge
Tundra TRD Pro
Last, but not least, is the Tundra. While many will look at this truck as the “Raptor fighter,” it really isn’t. Rather it is more like the affordable version. It will come with the standard features plus:
- TRD-tuned springs with 2” lift for the front of the vehicle
- Decreased spring rate to improve ride quality over harsh terrain
- All-black 18-inch alloy wheels with Michelin ORP tires
- TRD dual exhaust system
- TRD PRO quarter panel bed stamping
- Unique interior seat color with red stitching
- Unique instrument panel ornament insert
These packages are sure to gather a lot of attention in the 4×4 world. Yet, will they make a BIG sales impact? Nope. They are cool, just not that cool.
Latest posts by Tim Esterdahl (see all)
- 2019 Lexus ES 350 F Sport – Checks All the Boxes - November 7, 2019
- 2019 Lexus RC 350 Trades Ride Comfort for Amazing Performance - October 22, 2019