Fiat Chrysler Automobiles has announced an expansion of their Takata airbag recalls to a total of over 4.7 million vehicles globally, over 4 million of which are in the United States. This recall expands the previous recall by about 1.4 million vehicles. This is also in addition to another expansion of passenger-side airbags recalled on the 2003 Dodge Ram line of pickup trucks (including 1500, 2500, and 3500 models).
Affected vehicles in the new recalls are:
- 2004-2008 Dodge Ram 1500 pickups
- 2005-2009 Dodge Ram 2500 pickups
- 2006-2009 Dodge Ram 3500 pickups
- 2008-2010 Dodge Ram 4500 and 5500 cab chassis vehicles
- 2008-2009 Sterling 4500 and 5500 cab chassis vehicles
- 2004-2008 Dodge Durango full-size SUVs
- 2005-2010 Chrysler 300, 300C and SRT8 full-size sedans
- 2005-2010 Dodge Charger full-size sedans
- 2005-2010 Dodge Magnum full-size station wagons
- 2005-2011 Dodge Dakota small pickups
- 2006-2011 Mitsubishi Raider small pickups
“The Company is aware of one related injury. It involved a 2006 Dodge Charger and occurred in southern Florida, where there is high absolute humidity.
“FCA US vehicles are no longer produced with either suspect inflator. These components also are distinct from Takata inflators cited in fatalities involving other auto makers.”