When you have a car, you have probably been dreaming of a perfect car garage. A perfectly designed and built garage will make your heart enthusiast.
However, do not immediately go to the spot and build the structure. First, visit your municipality or city hall and ask for the information packet on the requirements to comply. The design and type of your garage will probably be needed to comply with some rules and building code policies. Never get started if building code compliance is not yet done. Get the approval of your plan to the building official.
Here some of the top and standard rules:
- Only a certain percentage of a lot is allowable for impervious structures, including buildings, decks, driveways, aprons, and sidewalks
- They set limitations on the total number of buildings
- The garage should be smaller than the house
Where can be the garage for your car be built?
First, consult with your neighbors. The neighbors may not appreciate your new garage because it might become an obstruction. The local government will want to know where you plan to build the garage.
Here’s what you’ll have to do:
- Get a copy of the survey map of your property from the building department
- Sketch the building you want to propose on the survey map
- Find out if there are property markers
- Dig a hole and check if the soil type is suitable. It should not be spongy
- Consult your plans with your neighbors
- If the neighbors do not conform, think of some alternatives
Things you need to consider when building your car garage
- Style of garage
Indeed, know what you will like to achieve:
Knowing what you want will help you find the appropriate architectural style, paint, doors, and even flooring.
When making the exterior style, you consider complimenting your home. For example, look at if your stone, brick, and siding will compliment.
There are several online sites that you can visit to see appropriate designs. But it is not essential to spend hundreds of dollars on a blueprint. Remember that all city and county government will require you showing length, width, height, roof pitch, and soffit size.
Consider the design phase:
- Match the house roof pitch, overhang size, siding and roofing
- Essential to put windows so you can see people coming and going
- Never put windows where you place a cabinet or pegboard
- Place the service door close to the house
- Add an extra service door in the back for safety exit
- Build taller walls and accommodate large overhead door
- Upscale the size of the walls to 2×6 for more space for insulation
- Place the building to avoid water runoff problems
- Electrical needs including lighting system of your garage
The garage may have few electrical options. Essential to consider to install plenty of electrical outlets. Consider an outlet for your air compressor. LED lights can be the best choice. If you are working on a bench, consider the direction of the light. Extra windows can help increase lighting.
- Plumbing system
It is a recommendation to install a sink for easy cleaning up some tools and stuff. It can save time, distractions, and reduce risk from moving yourself to wash something.
- Appropriate flooring
You can install concrete flooring. Add industrial epoxy and rubber overlays for easy clean-up and safety. Dallas flooring companies is one of the top suppliers and offer different kinds of quality flooring. Choose the appropriate type of flooring design for your car garage.
- Safe and enough storage
You can put a built-in wall shelf, overhead cabinets, bike racks, and more. Putting enough storage system will eliminate risk and give you plenty of space to work.
Building a garage for your car is an exciting endeavor. The great garage will make sure the lasting performance of your car.
Latest posts by Will Hopstetter (see all)
- Selling Your Car To Car Nuts - January 15, 2020
- Truck Driver Safety Tips: Staying Safe on the Open Road - January 4, 2020