Going ahead with a personal injury claim? It’s not a decision that’s taken lightly. There’s a lot to think about, especially if you’re currently recovering from a car accident that wasn’t your fault. Many professionals will tell you, like this Nassau County car accident lawyer, that finding the right attorney to represent you and to get you the compensation you deserve is a major decision.
Finding the right lawyer for your case takes plenty of time, patience and a lot of research. Though it’s important to act as quickly as possible, as statute of limitations may restrict when you file. Here you’ll find some straightforward tips to help you find the right car accident lawyer for your case.
List your criteria
It’s not as simple as wanting your lawyer to be able to win. Hiring a lawyer is a working relationship that requires both sides to be communicative and transparent. Some other aspects you might want to look for include:
- What experience do they have with cases of your kind? There’s little point approaching a firm that specialises in family law and doesn’t have any experience in personal injury. Do a little research before you contact them.
- Do they have the time to dedicate themselves fully to your case? Some lawyers might look at a case and not think it worth their time. It’s harsh, but true.
- Does firm size matter to you? Are you looking for any particular awards or industry recognition? This kind of information is a good indicator about their results and their working ethics. Are they freelance or part of a firm?
- Are they located near you? Having access to your lawyer whenever you need them and seeing them face to face will make you feel more in control of the proceedings. It also makes a better relationship.
- What kind of settlements have they obtained in the past? What’s their negotiability like? Winning is one thing. But you also want the compensation you deserve. Check out their past settlements on their website.
- What do past clients say? Client reviews are goldust. They’ll tell you a lot of things the lawyer wont!
Where to find a good attorney
It’s easy to feel overwhelmed by the choice out there. Start with some simple queries.
- Ask your friends and family: If they’ve recently worked with a personal injury lawyer, they can advise you who to try and who to avoid!
- Ask an attorney you already know: Worked with an attorney in the past? If they take on personal injury claims then check out their credentials. Or see if they can recommend someone else. Always conduct your own research though.
- Check out a law firms directory. Google. Or other online directories: Make sure you read the reviews too!
Make sure they’re right for you
Meeting a potential lawyer in person will give you the best impression of their working ethics, their personality and their style. Perhaps they’re aggressive, or maybe a little passive. Are they patient? Disorganised? Meet as many as you can in person before you make your final decision.