What You Need to Know About Out-of-State Car Accidents

Now that Kansas is jump starting businesses, easing up on travel restrictions and pushing for the reopening of schools, you might find yourself taking this opportunity to go out of your state to visit loved ones or take care of your business. For some, the long hiatus from driving can prove to be problematic. In the several months that have passed, much may have changed, making your visit to another state an unfamiliar one. Often, this confusion can lead to costly accidents that may warrant the help of a car crash attorney. So, before you embark on your trip outside of Kansas, learn more about what you should know if you get involved in a car accident in another state. 

What Should You Do

If you get involved in an accident, wherever you may be, these are the critical things that you should do immediately after the accident: 

Call the police: You should inform the police right away about the accident you got involved in. Getting a police report is important, mainly if you want to file for a claim later on. 

Get medical attention: If you have severe injuries, please get treated right away to avoid complications. 

Document the scene of the accident: Take pictures and get other important details related to the accident. 

Inform insurance provider: If you have an insurance provider, notify them immediately. 

These are the basic things that you should do. However, if the accident occurred out-of-state, there are some details you should know, like knowing where to file for an injury claim and identifying the people who can help you process a claim. 

Getting an Insurance Claim

Ideally, insurance coverage for auto accidents should not matter as insurance companies often expand their coverage to all areas that are under the jurisdiction of the United States. For example, you got your insurance policy in Kansas, and you get involved in an accident during your trip to Colorado or Missouri. You are still covered by your policy. So, you should not worry about reporting the accident to your insurance company. But, expect that they will assign you an adjuster based on your hometown or the territory where the car crash happened. 

If you choose to have the repairs done to where the accident occurred, you need to coordinate with the adjustor to help you manage.

Filing for a Lawsuit

If you ever incur any serious injuries from a car accident and want to file a lawsuit, you should be aware that whatever legal action you may wish to have against the other party should follow the laws of the state where the accident took place. All matters pertaining to compensation for hospital bills, vehicle repairs, and other expenses related to the accident would fall under the state of occurrence. But you also have to understand that each case is different and that each state may have conditions or limitations that can impact your claim – whether it be for better or worse.

Another point to remember is that you should always consider the statute of limitations of the state where the accident occurred, which may differ from your home state. In Kansas, the statute of limitation is two years; other states like Michigan have a statute of limitations of three years. 

Getting into an accident is a hassle. It takes up time, money, and effort. Arming yourself with the proper knowledge about how to deal with out-of-state car accidents can help lighten the burden. So, whenever you are heading for an out-of-state trip, make sure that you have all your emergency numbers handy.

Alicia Baker
Alicia is a Canadian writer whose enthusiasm for cultural and automotive are combined in her writing. Her background includes links to insurance, finance, and automotive safety.