Car shipping or auto transport refers to a car moving service that facilitates the transportation of cars across the state, nation, or world. The services provide a convenient means of moving a car especially if you are planning to move it a long distance without driving it. To efficiently ship cars over long distances, most people seek the help of shipping companies. If you are planning on shipping a car, below are some of the questions that will give you an insight into how shipping a car works.
What Are the Options for Shipping a Car?
Shipping companies offer different services to ensure that your car is transported efficiently. The auto shipping services include the following:
- Open Auto Shipping
Open auto shipping is a shipping service that uses an open carrier. The methods used bi-level trucks or trailers to transport cars over long distances. Generally, the trucks and trailers lack roofs and sides, leaving the cars being transported exposed to elements like dust, debris, dirt, and bad weather. Even with the exposure, open carriers are relatively safe. The method is also considered cheaper than other shipping methods.
- Enclosed Auto Shipping
In enclosed auto shipping, the carrier offers more protection to the vehicle it is transporting which eliminates the risk of road elements. As a result, this method is more recommended for vintage, classic, and luxury vehicles. However, closed auto shipping is more expensive than the open carrier method.
- Door-To-Door Auto Shipping
Door-to-door shipping is a service that offers convenient pick-up and delivery of vehicles. In this method, the shipping company ensures that the shipped car is dropped at the closest point to the delivery location. This option is often considered over terminal-to-terminal shipping.
- Expedited Shipping
Expedited shipping services offer the quickest services especially if you need a car to be shipped within the shortest time possible. However, this option is usually more expensive compared to other available shipping options.
How Can You Ship a Car?
The process of shipping a car is as follows:
- Look for a reputable shipping company: a good shipping company will give you a preview of the available shipping options, and the costs as well as inform you of the necessary documentation.
• Get a price estimate: once you have secured a reputable shipping company, you may request the shipping rates. Ensure that you communicate your needs well to get an accurate estimate
• Review the insurance coverage: before committing to the shipping company, it is always advisable to review the company’s liability insurance coverage. The review will help you know how much is covered in the company’s policy. You should also review your vehicle’s insurance cover to know the extent of protection in case of an accident.
• Prepare the car for shipping: Once you have completed all procedures with the shipping company, you may prepare the car in anticipation of shipping. Wash your car, complete a visual inspection, and check for any leakages. In most instances, you may require removing your personal belongings from the car.
What Is the Cost of Shipping a Car?
The cost of shipping a car depends on several factors. These factors include the following:
• The type of vehicle, including its weight and size
• The distance to be covered
• The timer of the year
• The type of transport selected
• The condition of your car
• The expected delivery dates
• Additional fees for pick-up and drop-off options
• Any other additional fees
Generally, car shipping works more efficiently if you work with a trusted and reputable auto shipping company. In case the shipping is international, you will have to put in place a set of documents and well as abide by the rules and regulations of the different companies.