Summer is a great time to relax, enjoy some time off, catch the latest blockbuster, and maybe even hit the beach if you can. Everybody loves Summer even if you are trying to beat the heat.
While some love the warm weather sometimes it is a bit much. Today in Baltimore for instance the actual temperature is 95 degrees but the heat index is… 105 degrees. While people should be careful and make sure to keep cool and drink a lot of water cars can be susceptible to extreme heat changes too. So here are some tips to make sure your car is prepared to Beat the Heat and make your Summer all that much more enjoyable.
5 ways to Beat the Summer Heat with your Car
- Car Sunshade: You have probably seen these in stores and thought about getting them. Believe me when I say Car Sunshades are worth the $10-20 that you might spend. You can even pick one up at dollar stores for $3 but they won’t be as good quality. Sunshades can keep will keep you car about much cooler when it is parked and makes the difference between getting into a warm car and an unbearable car. Car Sunshades come in accordion or fold-out styles and are available at any local auto parts store or big box stores nowadays. If you want to have some fun you can build your DIY Sunshade.
- Crack Your Car Windows: If you really want to keep your car cool I would recommend getting a car sunshade and cracking your car windows a couple inches while parked. This allows some hot air to escape but can be hazardous if forget to leave them open if it happens to rain. So be careful.
- Check Your Tires: Keeping your tires properly inflated is always important but vitally important if want to Beat the Heat. I’ve seen plenty of people blowout tires due to under inflation during the Summer. At CarNewsCafe we like to recommend getting a portable air compressor and tire gauge to keep in your car at all times. You never know when your tires could have low air. Also see if you “tread is dead” as I like to say. If you don’t have enough tread on your tires you might want to consider replacing them if your budget allows.
- Check Your Battery: Auto batteries get a bad reputation during the winer for failing but they can fail due to intense heat just as easily. You can get your battery checked to see if there is weak cell at most local auto parts stores. If your battery is 3-5 years old you might want to consider just replacing it.
- Keep Your Coolant: Coolant helps keep your engine running cool. Make sure you have enough in your radiator and you want to make sure you have a 50:50 mix of anti-freeze and water inside your radiator. How do you know if you have a 50/50 coolant or anti-freeze mixture? There are test strips that will measure the mixture and pH level of coolant. I rarely see many shops using them, but you can buy them at auto parts stores. You might want to consider doing a coolant flush if you have never done it, or if it has been 4+ years since you have flushed your coolant. Don’t forgot to also check your hoses. If they are bulging, hard, brittle, deformed, squishy, or have hairline cracks pleaes just replace the hose and save yourself the hassle. Preferably when it is a good idea to replace any coolant hoses when do a coolant flush.
Anyway I hope everyone is enjoying their Summer and having fun relaxing. If you have any other ways you can Beat the Heat with your car please leave a comment below. We would love to hear any tips our readers have.
UPDATE: I forgot to add to the list that it is good idea to check your car’s air conditioning refrigerant level. If you don’t know how to do this take it to a local trustworthy auto mechanic or check YouTube videos. If you car needs a some A/C refrigerant it is not a hard DIY job to do yourself. You won’t regret it when the temperatures soar either as you will be enjoying a nice cool car interior.