I made this video “How to Replace a Car Battery” a few years ago. It is still popular on Youtube and keeps getting a fair number of views, since a lot of people don’t know how to do this basic automotive maintenance procedure. Watch the video to learn!
How to Replace a Car Battery
A few things to remember when you are replacing and installing an auto battery;
- Remove the negative cable FIRST, positive cable second. If you remove the positive cable first you are bridging the electrical connection and will most likely be in for a surprise. When you install car batteries, put the positive cable on first and then the negative cable on second. (If this is confusing watch the video.)
- Keep the battery upright at all times and don’t tip it over and try not to take it out at an agle. Automotive batteries contain acid and you don’t what that getting on you or anywhere in your driveway.
- Having the right tools always helps even with simply DIY auto maintenance like this. All I needed was a basic tool set to replace this car battery but I still needed a long extension for my ratchet to undo the plate holding the battery in place. Some basic tool sets won’t have extras like long extensions, so keep that in mind when you are buying tools. It’s good idea to get the best tools you can afford and you can always upgrade when needed.
- Always dispose an auto battery properly at your local recycling center or auto parts store. Most states have what is known as a “core charge” on auto batteries which is usually $10-$20. Once you take your old battery out you can take it back to the auto parts store to get your $10-$20 back. That isn’t a lot but is enough for to go get Frozen Yogurt!
If you need to replace your car battery I hope “How to Replace a Car Battery” helped you. Hopefully you found these tips useful too. If it did please leave a comment here and let me know. If you are still mulling replacing your car battery yourself please leave a comment as well and I will answer any questions to help you.
Latest posts by Adam Yamada-Hanff (see all)
- How do Car Companies Name Cars? - January 15, 2018
- Harley-Davidson pays $15 million EPA fine for selling Super Tuners - August 21, 2016