Shaped by desire: Mercedes-Benz is continuing its long tradition of sporty, elegant dream cars with a new, independent series. The new CLE Coupe uses the conceptual and technical innovations of the C-Class and E-Class. With its expressive design, exclusive comfort features for maximum individuality and confident, sporty driving performance, the new two-door coupe raises the bar for its segment. The 2024 Mercedes-Benz CLE Coupe will arrive in U.S dealerships in early 2024. The CLE Cabriolet will follow for open-air connoisseurs.
Iconic design: The striking exterior design features a long wheelbase, well-positioned and strongly inclined A-pillar, a short front overhang and a slightly longer rear overhang, as well as pronounced shoulders and large wheel arches. The new CLE Coupe combines these sporty, elegant proportions with the modern design language of Mercedes-Benz. True to the Mercedes-Benz design philosophy of Sensual Purity, the result is a powerful, dynamic design that embodies an emotional statement from every perspective.
Athletic appearance: The progressively forward-leaning front section (“shark nose”) with a low-slung hood, unique, flat LED headlights and the newly designed, three-dimensional radiator grille contribute to the athletic yet highly elegant appearance. The strongly contoured power domes on the long hood denote the powerful engines with up to six cylinders. The vehicle’s profile features a distinctive shaped edge. This character line runs from the headlight to the exterior mirror and from the taillight to the door handle. The muscular back end is characterized by flowing surfaces, smooth transitions and two-part LED taillights with new contours and three-dimensional light bodies.
Plenty of space: At 191 inches long, 73.2 inches wide and 56.2 inches high, the new two-door model is the largest coupe in the midsize segment. With its dimensional concept, including a 1 inch longer wheelbase, the CLE Coupe offers more space than the C-Class Coupe. Rear passengers benefit from 0.4 inches of additional headroom, 0.75 inches of additional shoulder and elbow room and 2.8 inches of additional knee room. The trunk volume offers 2.1 cu-ft of additional space and can easily accommodate three golf bags.
Sporty luxury: The interior features a free-standing 12.3-inch, fully digital driver display and 11.9-inch, driver-oriented central display in user-friendly portrait format. The enhanced 64-color ambient lighting, available standard, extends from the center console to beneath the outer air vents. In each of the doors, a strip of light runs along the contours of the armrest and beltline to the rear cabin. Another highlight is the front seats in integral sport design, developed exclusively for the CLE. With the standard Burmester® 3D surround sound system with Dolby Atmos®, the fronts seats are each fitted with two speakers at the level of the headrests to create an individual and immersive music experience.
Specific EASY-ENTRY function: For the first time at Mercedes-Benz, the front seats are unlocked with an elegant loop made of Nappa leather conveniently located at the upper edge of the backrest of the front seats.
Latest generation MBUX: The CLE Coupe adopts numerous digital innovations from the new E-Class. With new electronics architecture and the third generation MBUX infotainment system, it is the most intelligent coupe from Mercedes-Benz. It offers an exceptionally interactive entertainment experience with third-party apps and a new level of personalization with automated convenience functions (routines).
Electrified driving experience: The available engines are exclusively mild hybrids with an integrated starter generator and 48-volt electrical system. Customers can choose from 2.0-liter four-cylinder and 3.0-liter inline-six powertrains.
Extensive safety: Numerous driver assistance systems, some of which have been further developed, offer situation-specific support for more safety. The extensive standard equipment includes ATTENTION ASSIST, Active Brake Assist and the Parking Package with reversing camera.
Classic coupe design for a sporty, elegant appearance
The new CLE Coupe: exterior design
- Athletic proportions with a dynamic character line adorning the vehicle’s profile
- Aerodynamic front end with pronounced “shark nose” and new headlight and radiator grille design
- Powerful, seamless design at the rear and striking taillights with a visual connecting element
The new CLE Coupe embodies an emotional statement from every perspective. The sporty, elegant two-door unites proportions typical of a coupe with the modern design language of Mercedes-Benz, whose aesthetic soul is shaped by the design philosophy of Sensual Purity. This creates a sculptural appearance for the CLE Coupe, which is characterized by flowing surfaces with seamless transitions. The progressive dynamics and elegance come into their own when viewed from the side thanks to the combination of a low silhouette (56.2 in) with a long wheelbase (112.8 in), short overhangs (35 in at the front/43.2 in at the rear) and muscular shoulder. Other typical coupe features are the long hood embedded in the front end with two power domes, steeply sloping windshield and long, sloping roof towards the rear. The passenger cell, which is set back, leads to the sporty, short rear via the rear window, which is also set flat.
A distinctive shaped edge structures the powerful volume in the vehicle’s profile. This character line runs from the headlight to the exterior mirror and from the taillight to the door handle. It emphasizes the sporty proportions and powerful wheel arches. In addition, the shaped edge, together with the chrome-accented side windows, underlines the balance between elegance and dynamics. The standard variant of the CLE 300 4MATIC is fitted standard with 18-inch alloy wheels. With the AMG Line, which is standard on the CLE 450 4MATIC, 19-inch rims are equipped standard. A large selection of other alloy wheels in 18- to 20-inch sizes and ten different exterior colors enable a high degree of customization.
Expressive front: newly designed three-dimensional radiator grille
The progressively forward-leaning front section (“shark nose”) with a low-slung hood, unique, flat LED headlights and distinctive radiator grille contribute to the athletic, elegant appearance. The strongly contoured power domes on the long hood reference the powerful engines. The radiator grille has a single louver in gloss black with chrome trim and a central star. Behind it shines a newly designed, three-dimensional chrome grille with a Mercedes-Benz pattern. The downward-opening silhouette of the radiator grille (A-shape design) also emphasizes the powerful forward drive of the CLE Coupe. Together with the chrome frame around the gloss black central air intake in the front fascia, it contributes to the sporty aesthetic.
The CLE Coupe has LED High Performance headlights with a newly designed trifunctional light for daytime running lights, position lights and direction indicators as standard. DIGITAL LIGHT headlights with and without projection function are available as optional equipment. These have two daytime running light ellipses and blue illumination of the headlight base for an unmistakable look that further reinforces the dynamic appearance. A light animation to welcome and say goodbye to passengers is available with the optional DIGITAL LIGHT headlights.
Powerful rear: Distinctive LED lights with three-dimensional light bodies
The powerful rear is characterized by flowing surfaces and smooth transitions. Another highlight is the two-part LED taillights with new contours and three-dimensional light bodies. The taillights are connected with a dark red design element. Like the classic chrome strip on the bumper, it emphasizes the width of the rear. On the standard CLE 300 4MATIC, C-shaped trim parts enclose the chrome trim strip like a clasp.
The dimensional concept: largest coupe in its segment
With its dimensional concept, the CLE Coupe is in a league of its own. At 191 inches long, 73.2 inches wide and 56.2 inches high, the new two-door is significantly larger than the C-Class Coupe, but 0.08 inches flatter and 0.6 inches longer than the E-Class Coupe.
|CLE Coupe||Difference to
|Track width front/rear||in||63.2/63.6||+1.5/+2.7||0/+0.3|
Sporty luxury with a generous sense of space
The new CLE Coupe: interior design
- 12.3-inch driver display, 11.9-inch central display, KEYLESS GO and multi-contour seats with memory function among generous standard features
- Exclusive seats in integral sports design, optionally with integrated speakers
- High-quality equipment with vegetable-tanned leather
Sporty luxury in a class of its own, focused fully on the driver: this is the concept for the interior design of the new CLE Coupe. The interior features a free-standing 12.3-inch fully digital driver display and an 11.9-inch central display. The portrait oriented central display rises seamlessly from the center console and is slightly angled towards the driver by six degrees. Together with the vertical format, this creates a visual dynamic and lightness that underlines the driver-focus of the CLE Coupe.
The interior also impresses with dynamic ambient lighting in 64 colors. Ambient lighting with indirect light on the trim strip of the instrument panel, the cup holders on the center console, the overhead control unit, the door handles, the seat adjustment unit and in the front footwell is fitted standard. A light band also sweeps from the center console along the lower edge of the instrument panel to beneath the outer air vents on each side. A strip of light runs in each of the doors along the lines of the armrest and beltline to the rear seats, which reinforces the spacious feel of the cabin.
Individual music experience with integrated speakers in the seat
Other highlights include the standard multi-function sports steering wheel in leather and new front seats developed exclusively for the CLE. These feature an avant-garde sports seat design with integrated headrests. In conjunction with the standard Burmester® 3D surround sound system, each front seat has two speakers at the level of the headrests, creating an individual and immersive music experience with Dolby Atmos®. The premium sound system has a total of 17 speakers.
The sporty look of the new multi-contour seats reinforces the reduced design with three-dimensional, seamless shapes on the instrument panel and in the doors to give the interior an additional visual lightness. The front seats are heated and have an electro-pneumatic four-way lumbar support as standard. Ventilated and seven-zone massaging front seats are optionally available. Seat height, backrest and cushion inclination, as well as seat cushion depth, can be infinitely adjusted electrically. The memory function can be used to save individual driver and passenger seat settings for up to three people – as can the position of the steering wheel, the optional head-up display and the exterior mirrors. If the driver changes, the preferred driving position can be conveniently set at the touch of a button.
User interface: pixel perfect in the best operating architecture
The display graphics and their arrangement are familiar from the C-Class. The driver display can be individualized with “Classic,” “Sport” and “Understated” styles. All relevant settings for media, vehicle, comfort, connectivity and more can be accessed directly and intuitively on the central display, which features new main icons recently introduced in the new E-Class.
EASY-ENTRY with elegant Nappa leather strap
A new EASY-ENTRY function ensures easy access to the rear cabin. The front seats are unlocked with an elegant loop made of Nappa leather conveniently located at the upper edge of the backrest. Front occupants who don’t buckle their seatbelt immediately after entering the vehicle can reactivate the seatbelt feeder via a button on the central display or simply by opening and closing the door again.
The CLE Coupe is one of the first Mercedes-Benz vehicles with an optimized warning if the seatbelt is not fastened. The system only reacts to seats on which someone who has not buckled their seatbelt is actually sitting.
The KEYLESS-GO comfort package is equipped standard to further increase convenience. In addition to starting the engine at the push of a button, it enables all vehicle doors to be opened and locked by simply touching the respective door handle. The recessed grips are illuminated for better orientation in the dark. With HANDS-FREE ACCESS, the trunk can also be fully opened and closed contact-free with a simple kick of the foot in the rear bumper’s sensor area.
Exclusive materials and colors
The new CLE Coupe is available with a wide range of customization options. This includes the exclusive selection of colors and high-quality materials. The standard and AMG Line come with Black MB-TEX upholstery, which is made of 65 percent recycled materials in the seat area and 85 percent in the inner lining. Alternatively, the colors Macchiato Beige/Black and Tonka Brown/Black are available.
Seats in leather with elaborate longitudinal piping and in Nappa leather with quilted, perforated diamond shapes are optionally available. The color selection ranges from Black to Macchiato Beige/Black, Tonka Brown/Black and Power Red/Black to White/Black Nappa leather. The leather comes from sustainable processing, made with plant-based tanning agents.
With the AMG Line, which is standard on the CLE 450 4MATIC, the instrument panel and beltlines are covered in black MB-TEX with a Nappa-look finish. A wide range of interior trims with innovative, technical or natural surfaces expands the sensory experience between traditional and digital luxury. The highlight is a new trim with a silver mixed-metal fabric. A similarly innovative interior trim is an open-pored, black wood veneer that is interspersed with fine aluminum inlays. The other trims include natural grain walnut wood, fineline anthracite wood and metal weave.
With its dimensional concept – in particular the 1-inch longer wheelbase – the CLE Coupe offers significantly more space than the C-Class Coupe. Rear passengers benefit from 0.4 inches of additional headroom, 0.75 inches of additional shoulder and elbow room and 2.8 inches of additional knee room. The trunk offers 2.1 cu-ft of additional space and can easily accommodate three golf bags.
|CLE Coupe||Difference to
|Effective legroom in front||in||42.1||+0.79||+0.28|
|Effective legroom in rear||in||34.2||+2.2||-1.7|
|Knee room in rear||in||1.3||+2.8||-0.28|
|Maximum headroom in front||in||40.3||+0.04||-0.59|
|Maximum headroom in rear||in||36||+0.39||-0.39|
|Shoulder room in front||in||55.7||+0.87||-0.39|
|Shoulder room in rear||in||52.4||+0.75||+2.13|
|Elbow room in front||in||58.6||+0.67||-0.2|
|Elbow room in rear||in||54.2||+0.75||+1.4|
Intelligent and interactive like no other Mercedes-Benz coupe
The new CLE Coupe: infotainment and comfort
- Latest generation MBUX infotainment
- New electronic architecture with fast 5G data transmission
- Individual entertainment with third-party apps
- Automated personalization using artificial intelligence
The CLE Coupe adopts numerous digital innovations from the new E-Class. After the business sedan, it is the second vehicle with the new electronic architecture and the third generation of the MBUX (Mercedes-Benz User Experience) infotainment system. This makes the sporty two-door the most intelligent coupe to wear the Mercedes-Benz star. It reaches a new dimension of personalization and interaction. The MBUX infotainment system, MBUX voice assistant, instrument cluster, central display and optional head-up display share a powerful central vehicle computer. This type of networking increases performance. Data streams can be transmitted faster. Depending on the market, a communication module with 5G is used as the transmission technology. Significantly higher data rates are possible with the 5G mobile communications standard than with LTE/UMTS1.
The entertainment program in the CLE Coupe is extraordinarily interactive. A new Android compatibility layer allows the installation of third-party apps2. The entertainment platform “TikTok,” the game “Angry Birds,” the cloud-based collaboration application “Webex” and the video conferencing app “Zoom” will be available at market launch. In addition, the entertainment portal ZYNC3 is on board as an option. It offers video streaming, on-demand content, interactive experiences, local video programming, sports, news and much more. Other partners and channels are constantly being integrated.
Online Music: music streaming with millions of songs to choose from
With the “Online Music”4 service, Mercedes-Benz has fully integrated the largest music streaming providers – Apple Music, Spotify, Amazon Music and Tidal – into the MBUX infotainment system. MBUX enables access to the personal user profile of the linked music providers, enabling customers listen to their favorite songs and playlists and discover millions of songs and curated playlists.
Hey Mercedes: powerful and learning voice assistant
By activating online services in the Mercedes me App, the “Hey Mercedes” voice assistant is highly capable of dialogue and learning. With the “Just Talk” function, the intelligent voice control can now also be activated without the keyword “Hey Mercedes.” The customer must be alone in the vehicle to use this function. When it is activated, a red microphone symbol appears in the display to show the vehicle is ready and waiting for voice commands.
“Hey Mercedes” also explains vehicle functions and helps, for example, if a customer wants to connect their smartphone via Bluetooth. The voice assistant can also recognize occupants acoustically. After the individual voice characteristics have been learned, this can be used to access personal data and functions via profile activation.
Personalization: connected and easy
Customers can create their personal profile directly in the CLE Coupe and synchronize it with existing profile data in the Mercedes me account. By scanning a QR code with the Mercedes me app, the vehicle is automatically connected to the Mercedes me account. Up to seven different profiles with a total of approximately 800 parameters are possible in the vehicle. For example, the ambient lighting can be set individually from home via remote configuration. Personal preferences such as a favorite radio station and default settings can be taken into the car via the customer’s Mercedes me profile.
Since the profiles are stored in the cloud as part of Mercedes me, they can also be used in other Mercedes-Benz vehicles with the corresponding MBUX generations. In addition to the classic entry of a PIN, a special authentication procedure ensures a high level of security. Fingerprint and voice recognition are combined. The fingerprint scanner is ergonomically located in the menu bar below the central display.
Next level of personalization: routines automate comfort functions based on personal needs
Mercedes-Benz is working on automating comfort functions using artificial intelligence (AI). The vehicle should learn which comfort systems the driver uses repeatedly at certain times and under certain conditions, and then run them automatically. The apps for navigation, radio and telephone are already proposing concrete actions. For example, a telephone number or a navigation destination that is dialed regularly at a specific point in time. In addition, more than 20 other functions – from birthday reminders to suggestions for the customer’s to-do list – are automatically offered with the help of AI if they are relevant to the driver. Mercedes-Benz calls these functions “Magic Modules.” These are displayed on the zero-layer interface of MBUX.
The CLE Coupe goes one step further in terms of automated adaptation to personal habits. The sporty two-door adopts the innovative routines5 introduced with the new E-Class. At market launch, customers can use templates of standard routines and also have the option of creating their own routines.
- Templates: With the help of these templates, customers can experiment with the different types of support that are possible with the help of routines. Examples here include “Cold days” (switching on the seat heating at a certain outside temperature, ambient lighting changes to warm orange) or “Date night” (romantic music is played via Bluetooth audio, the ambient lighting turns rose-colored). The templates are mostly stored in the backend. Some are stored locally in the vehicle, so they can be used even if there happens to be no connectivity. The templates are operated via the vehicle’s central display and are arranged in carousel-style on the screen.
- Self-created routines: Conditions can be attached to actions on the central display. For example, “If the interior temperature is below 53 degrees Fahrenheit, switch on the seat heating and set the ambient lighting to warm orange.” The driver can also assign a name for self-created routines, such as “Warm me up.” Under this personally chosen name, the routine then appears on the screen under the menu item “My routines.” It is also activated once so the vehicle can start it automatically. This routine category can be recognized by the blue tab in the menu bar. Routines can be created and edited in the vehicle, on the central display.
- AI-generated routines: In the future, the goal is for the CLE Coupe to fully automate recurring routine tasks if desired. Artificial intelligence (AI) will make this possible. The vehicle’s ability to also learn and evolve with the customer will represent a new level of intelligence. In the first expansion stage, Mercedes-Benz will offer the AI-generated routines Massage, Seat heating and Seat ventilation for the driver’s seat. Other interior systems are to be successively integrated and further routines made possible.
- The speed and availability of the data connection vary depending, among other things, on the network coverage at the vehicle’s location.
- To use ZYNC, an active Mercedes-Benz me account and the MBUX Entertainment Plus package are required. This is currently free for one year after booking and can then be extended for a fee via the Mercedes me portal (country-specific deviations possible).
- To use the online music service, the customer needs a separate contract with a selected streaming provider. In addition, the customer’s own data volume is required.
- The functions described are visions for the future, some of which are not yet available at market launch of the CLE Coupé and will depend on the respective vehicle model, the individual configuration and the respective market.
Immersive sound experience with unparalleled clarity
The new CLE Coupe: sound system
- Multi-dimensional sound with Dolby Atmos® and Spatial Audio from Apple Music
- Integrated speakers in front seats with standard Burmester® 3D surround sound system
- Sound quality specially tailored to Mercedes-Benz passenger cars
The CLE Coupe is equipped standard with the Burmester® 3D surround sound system. It takes the immersive audio experience to a new level with native integration of Spatial Audio with Dolby Atmos®. Audio surrounds the driver and passengers with unparalleled multi-dimensional spaciousness and clarity that virtually transports them to a recording studio or live stage. Dolby Atmos® allows individual instruments or voices to be placed around the listening area. This allows a new kind of sound animation. While conventional stereo systems tend to have left-right dynamics, Dolby Atmos® can use the full range and create a 360-degree experience. The Burmester® 3D surround sound system features 17 speakers, including two close to each ear in the front seats.
Customers with an Apple Music subscription6 have access to an ever-growing selection of songs and albums that are available in Spatial Audio with Dolby Atmos®. Universal Music Group (UMG) is the first music label to proactively encourage its artists to produce music in Dolby Atmos®. With this new audio standard, the world’s largest music label enables artists to base their song approval processes on how the final mix sounds in a Mercedes-Benz. For this purpose, UMG has introduced the new “Approved in a Mercedes-Benz” seal as the “gold” standard for the implementation of Dolby Atmos® in vehicles.
Burmester® 3D surround sound system
|16 channels, 710 watts||17 in total:
- For the signals and the Mercedes-Benz emergency call, one loudspeaker each is located on the dashboard.
Electrified engines for spirited driving performance
The new CLE Coupe: powertrains
- Powerful six-cylinder as top engine
- Mild hybrid with boost output increased to 23 hp
The range of engines includes four-cylinder and six-cylinder mild-hybrid powertrains from the current modular Mercedes-Benz engine family FAME (Family of Modular Engines). In addition to turbocharging, the engines feature a second-generation integrated starter generator (ISG), which provides support at lower engine speeds and ensures excellent power development.
The ISG uses the 48-volt on-board electrical system for functions such as coasting, boost or recuperation and makes significant fuel savings possible. The engines start very quickly and conveniently. As a result, the start-stop function is almost imperceptible, as is the transition from coasting with the engine switched off to powerful propulsion with engine power. When idling, the intelligent interaction of the ISG with the combustion engine ensures outstanding smooth running. Thanks to a new battery, the power of the electric motor has been increased from 21 to 23 hp compared to other series. The boost torque is 148 lb-ft.
Innovative four and six-cylinder engines
The most powerful engine is the 3.0-liter inline-six (M 256 M). The combination of the twin-scroll turbocharger and ISG ensures excellent power delivery without turbo lag. The exhaust ducts of three cylinders each are combined in the dual-flow exhaust manifold and only rejoin directly in front of the turbine wheel. This leads to a spontaneous build of boost pressure and torque as well as rapid engine response and revving at low engine speeds. The CLE 450 4MATIC develops 375 hp and 369 lb-ft of torque and achieves the sportiest driving performance.
The four-cylinder engine (M 254) produces 255 hp. Mercedes-Benz combines all the innovations of the modular engine family FAME in this engine. These include the NANOSLIDE® cylinder coating, CONICSHAPE® cylinder honing (trumpet honing), segment turbocharger with variable flow connection and exhaust gas aftertreatment placed directly on the engine. The engine also features CAMTRONIC with two-stage valve lift switching.
CLE Coupe model range
|CLE 300 4MATIC||CLE 450 4MATIC|
|Additional output (boost)||hp||23||23|
|Additional torque (boost)||lb-ft||148||148|
Transmission: Advanced nine-speed automatic
The 9G-TRONIC transmission was further developed for the adaptation of the ISG and is used in all CLE models. The electric motor, power electronics and transmission cooler have been moved into or onto the transmission. The lines that were previously required are no longer necessary, which offers advantages in terms of space and weight. In addition, the efficiency of the transmission has been increased. Among other things, the optimized interaction with the electric auxiliary oil pump has made it possible to reduce the delivery volume of the mechanical pump by 30 percent compared to its predecessor for improved efficiency. A new generation of fully integrated transmission control with a multi-core processor and new assembly and connection technology is used. In addition to the increased computing power, the number of electrical interfaces has been drastically reduced and the weight of the transmission control has been reduced by 30 percent compared to its predecessor.
The 4MATIC all-wheel drive has also been further developed. With the front-axle drive, higher torque can be transmitted and axle load distributions that are ideal in terms of driving dynamics can be achieved. There is also a significant weight advantage compared to the corresponding component of the previous series.
Sporty, comfortable road holding and optimal handling
The new CLE Coupe: suspension
- Lowered by 0.6 inches as standard
- Comfort and sports suspension
The suspension of the new CLE Coupe enables agile driving dynamics on winding roads while also offering exceptional comfort over long distances. The precise guidance of the front wheels on four links each plays a large part in the dynamic handling. On the rear axle, a multi-link construction with a five-link concept ensures good wheel control qualities and straight-line stability. Compared to the sedan series, the CLE Coupe is lowered by 0.6 inches as standard for a more dynamic appearance.
Comfort suspension is fitted standard on the CLE 300 4MATIC. It combines supreme driving comfort and sporty directness. Rolling behavior, damping effect and stabilization are continuously and automatically adapted to the surface. A sports suspension is available standard on the CLE 450 4MATIC and with the AMG package on the CLE 300 4MATIC. It offers a stiffer suspension and damping design as well as sports direct steering for more direct handling and agility. When cornering quickly or when making quick evasive maneuvers, this sporty chassis tuning is noticeable in the form of less body roll.
Situation-specific support for more
The new CLE Coupe: driver assistance systems
- Extensive standard equipment
- Numerous advanced driver assistance systems
- High level of experience thanks to the assistance display in the instrument cluster
The standard equipment of the CLE Coupe includes ATTENTION ASSIST, Active Brake Assist, Active Lane Keeping Assist, Speed Limit Assist and the parking package with reversing camera.
The Driver Assistance Package with extended functionality
Available as an optional package, it includes more than ten latest-generation assistance and safety systems.
- The Active Distance Assist DISTRONIC offers more functions than the standard system. These include the reaction to stationary vehicles, automatic restart and automatic speed transfer up to 130 mph.
- The intersection approach function can provide additional safety when approaching intersections with cross traffic. The system uses intuitive arrows on the instrument display to indicate from which direction cross traffic is approaching. If the driver nevertheless tries to pull away, an audio-visual collision warning is triggered. The vehicle is prevented from moving off by automatically applying the brakes. The driver can cancel this at any time by fully depressing the accelerator pedal.
- Active Steering Assist provides support when following the lane. The CLE Coupe can automatically restart after it has come to a standstill on highways and in city traffic. This is possible in a time window of 30 seconds when the driver’s hands are on the steering wheel. Another new feature: If Active Steering Assist is no longer available because the lane markings cannot be clearly identified, it signals this to the driver via a vibrating steering wheel. As before, if Steering Assist is not available, the steering wheel symbol in the instrument display also changes from green to gray. Other features include lane recognition at low speeds with an additional 360-degree camera, high availability and cornering performance, and lane centering on highways. Depending on the situation, the vehicle may be driven off-center: for example, on roads without center markings.
- Active Lane Change Assist supports the driver cooperatively when changing to the neighboring lane. Changing lanes to the left or right is only supported if, according to the sensors, the neighboring lane is separated by a broken lane marking and no vehicles have been detected in the relevant safety area8.
- Active Emergency Stop Assist brakes the vehicle to a standstill in its own lane if it detects the driver is no longer continuously intervening in the driving process. If the CLE Coupe is travelling at less than 37 mph, the assistant uses the hazard warning lights to warn the traffic behind. In addition, the doors unlock when the vehicle is stationary and the assistant calls for help via the Mercedes-Benz Emergency Call.
- Active Brake Assist with cross-traffic function can use the sensors installed in the vehicle to register whether there is a risk of collision with a vehicle ahead, crossing or oncoming traffic. If a collision is imminent, the system can warn the driver visually and acoustically. If driver’s braking is too weak, it is also possible to support the driver by increasing the braking torque according to the situation and to initiate emergency braking if there is no reaction from the driver.
- The avoidance steering assistant can support the driver to avoid a road user detected by the system in a dangerous situation. In addition to standing and crossing pedestrians, the CLE Coupe can also consider people and vehicles in the longitudinal direction as well as cyclists. The speed range goes up to 68 mph.
- From a speed of 37 mph, Active Lane Keeping Assist can use a camera to detect when lane markings and edges of the lane are being driven over and help the driver to avoid unintentionally leaving the lane. If there is a risk of collision with other road users detected in the neighboring lane, for example overtaking or oncoming vehicles, the system can also react with steering intervention and warnings.
- Active Blind Spot Assist can provide a visual warning of side collisions and an audible warning when the turn signal is activated at speeds of around 6 mph or more. If the driver ignores the warnings and nevertheless initiates a lane change, the system can intervene to correct the lane at the last moment by braking on one side at speeds of over 19 mph. In addition, when the vehicle is stationary the exit warning function can warn against exiting because a vehicle (including bicycles) is passing within the critical area.
- PRE-SAFE® PLUS can take action if a rear-end collision is imminent. In addition, the preventive PRE-SAFE® occupant protection measures are triggered, including the reversible belt tensioners. If the vehicle is stationary, PRE-SAFE® PLUS locks the brakes. Reducing forward motion can significantly reduce the loads acting on occupants, including the risk of whiplash.
- If an imminent side collision is detected, PRE-SAFE® Impulse Side can help move the affected front occupant away from the danger towards the center of the vehicle. For this purpose, air chambers in the side bolsters of the front seat backrests inflate in fractions of a second.
The Active Parking Assist PARKTRONIC has been improved in several respects. The starting process can now be performed intuitively via the central display. In addition, it is much faster to automatically park in and drive out than before. At the same time, the warning tones are omitted during the parking process.