The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) has notified that it has been informed that certain driver’s side airbags that use non-desiccated SDI and PSDI-5 inflators from Takata, which are also installed in Volkswagen cars, are potentially defective. The recall affects approximately 680,000 Volkswagen vehicles in the United States.
- Certain 2006-2010 Model Year Volkswagen Passat Sedan and Wagon (German Production)
- Certain 2012-2014 Model Year Volkswagen Eos
- Certain 2010-2014 Model Year Volkswagen Golf
- Certain 2010-2014 Model Year Volkswagen Jetta SportWagen
- Certain 2012-2014 Model Year Volkswagen Passat (U.S. Production)
- Certain 2009-2014 Model Year Volkswagen CC
As reported by Takata: In the event of an inflator rupture, metal fragments could pass through the air bag cushion material, which may result in injury or death to vehicle occupants. Volkswagen is not aware of any ruptured SDI or PSDI-5 inflator in any Volkswagen Group vehicle worldwide.
Once affected VINs and the recall remedy have been identified, Volkswagen will notify all owners of affected vehicles and will instruct them to arrange for an appointment with an authorized Volkswagen dealer.
Latest posts by Aaron Turpen (see all)
- Q&A: Why Doesn’t Hyundai Have A Pickup Truck? - May 1, 2021
- Q&A: What Electric Vehicles Are On the Market Now? - April 28, 2021