Our friends at Spork Marketing got together with VWPartsVortex.com to create an infographic comparing the 1985 Volkswagen Golf GTI with today’s 2015 Golf GTI to show how much the little car has improved in thirty years.
The 2015 Golf GTI, which Jimmy reviewed just last week, boasts twice the horsepower of its 1985 counterpart, far better fuel economy, and much higher safety standards. Many of the options and features in today’s Golf weren’t even in existence in 1985 either. Most of them weren’t even predicted by Michael J Fox when he came to the future.
Here’s a list of some of what’s highlighted in the infographic below:
- Engine horsepower increased from 100 to 220
- Zero to 60 times decreased from 8.5 seconds to 5.8 seconds
- Curb weight increased nearly 1,000lbs
- Transmission options increased from standard 5-speed to 6-speed manual or 6-speed dual clutch automatic
- Power windows and locks were not available on the 1985 model, and air conditioning was optional. This is all standard equipment in 2015.
Latest posts by Aaron Turpen (see all)
- Sneak Unveil of New GMC Hummer EV - October 20, 2020
- Video Review: 2020 Cadillac CT4 is great as the Smallest Caddy - October 13, 2020